Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cheesy Potatoes with Bacon



This week's recipe is inspired by a recent trip to Rhode Island.  While visiting my friend, there may have been quite the alcohol intake, and a visit to a food truck.  Now, being the cheese-maker's daughter that I am, the kind of cheese they use on their "cheesy bacon fries" is not something I can ever appreciate.  The alcohol just made me not think about it.  I wanted to make a version that could be enjoyed under the condition of sobriety.

That was until my mother and I were talking about "My Drunk Kitchen".  If you haven't seen this show, click here to check it out!  As a result of this conversation, the process of me making this recipe is brought to you in part by rum and Coke.  I promise, though, this can be enjoyed in whatever state you may be in.  Please enjoy the recipe (including the silly notes I wrote to myself in the process of making it).

Ingredients for this adventure:
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

While the oven is preheating, prepare the ingredients.  Cut the potatoes into small cubes.  I used a mix of potatoes (9 smaller and 3 large) but all together it came out to be about 8 cups when chopped.  Mince the garlic and cut the green onions.  Also, cut the bacon into small pieces.


Melt the butter.  The note I wrote to myself to rationalize the amount was "because that's how much of the stick we have left"... but it turned out to be a good amount.

Put the potatoes in a pan, and mix in the melted butter.  Keep in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until they can be punctured easily with a fork.  Make sure to stir every 15 minutes or so.


While the potatoes are in the oven, fry the bacon until it is crispy.  Place on a plate in between two paper towels and set aside.  "Always have a towel even if it's paper" is the note I left for myself here.  If these were the kind of notes I was going to leave for myself, I should have made a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster!


Shred the cheese. My notes wouldn't be complete without a cheesy pun, so here's a gouda one. ;-)  The cheese I used was called Abbie Gouda, from Cooperstown Cheese Company.  This was one of the perks I received for helping out at a Farmer's Market in Saugerties, NY.  This cheese is perfect for melting and had a wonderful flavor.  I only used about a 1/3 lb, but the next time I do this I will add more.

When the potatoes are ready, remove from the oven.  Mix the cheese, green onions, and garlic in with the potatoes and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so.  By then, the cheese should be melted.  Taste a potato - if it's cooked all the way through, it's done.


The final note of the evening is "remember to turn off the oven", which is always an important thing to do.  That's all I have for you this week.  Enjoy this in whatever state you may choose to, and I'll be back next week with another garlicky recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment