Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Welcome! Let's enjoy garlic together!

Hello! How are you? I'm doing well, thanks for asking! Do you like garlic? What a coincidence, so do I! Come join me on this journey of mine. This is a journey of finding all the wonderful things we can make with garlic, as well as a journey for myself in the world of blogging. So pack your bags, we're going on a culinary adventure!

Who am I?
You may be asking yourself, “Who is this strange girl with the garlic obsession?” Well friends, my name is Katie Sweitzer, the 21 year old cheese-maker's daughter that will eternally be mistaken for 15. I recently graduated from Cornell University with a degree in Biological Sciences (focused in genetics and microbiology), and while I love immersing myself in science, I love to cook as well. I may not be an expert chef, but I have enjoyed the process of learning and expanding what knowledge I do have. I have received various food-related nicknames throughout my years at college, such as “muffin” or “garlic” Katie (well...and “gumbo girl”, but that's a whole 'nother story).

As I mentioned above, I am a cheese-maker's daughter. Back in 2007, my father started his own tasty adventure in the cheese-making industry. If you are reading this now and have never tried any of the cheeses from Cooperstown Cheese Company, I highly recommend you go find out where to get yourself some and try it. I may be biased, but I think the awards on two of our cheeses say more than I ever could. In 2009, Toma Celena won 2nd place in European-style cheeses, while this year Jersey Girl won 3rd place in American-style originals at the American Cheese Society Convention. As a congrats to Jersey Girl, it will be featured in the first dish I make!

Why Garlic?
So, why garlic? Well, why not garlic? I've always loved garlic! It adds a great flavor to a huge variety of dishes, and is even wonderful if you roast whole cloves to eat. Also within the past year, I've been able to explore different varieties that people sell at farmer's markets (so far, I think “Red German” that is my favorite). At my best, I go through a head of it every two weeks. Also garlic is good for you, including reducing blood pressure and having some cancer-protective properties. Here are a few sources where you can read up on why garlic is good for you:
My Goal for this Blog
I have wanted to become a blogger for a while. This is a learning process for me to create content that people may actually want to read (and follow), including the process of making it presentable and keeping a consistent update schedule. I also want to put my interest in cooking to good use, especially working through a variety of recipes to keep me learning. Overall, I want the experience of being able to creatively show the process of how I make all of my garlic recipes. While I know that I'm not a professional at this stuff, I at least like what I cook, and who knows - maybe someone can get ideas from how I do something. Or maybe promote discussion!


So again, hello all! I'm Katie Sweitzer, garlic fanatic, and I hope you enjoy this garlicky, blogging experience with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment